You can still see the place Healdsburg District Hospital began life in 1905. It was in the right wing of the home of Dr. J. Walter Seawall at 211 North Street — now the Camellia Inn. It was called Healdsburg General Hospital then, and a doctor's visit cost $2. Dr. Seawall and his partner, Dr. Frank E. Sohler, were hard-working, dedicated, and innovative physicians who insisted on the best equipment and the latest medical technology for their north county hospital. This, along with the sunshine and fresh air, attracted first-rate skilled staff to the hospital.
Not much has changed since then. Although the hospital has moved locations several times, and a doctor's visit does cost a bit more than $2, what has remained the same is HDH still provides compassionate, quality care. The residents of northern Sonoma County recognize the value of the high-quality healthcare they receive from caring professionals who live and work in the same their same communities. As the town of Healdsburg grew along with the necessity for quality healthcare, the community was committed to keeping HDH as its flagship hospital for northern Sonoma County. Then in 2002, the North Sonoma County Healthcare District was formed which revived the over 100-year-old hospital, officially renaming it as Healdsburg District Hospital.